Sunday, February 13, 2011

We have had a fun, relaxing weekend. Reece's 11th birthday was on Friday. So, what's a birthday without a party! He had 2 boys spend the night and Nina had 2 girls spend the night. In total, we had 8 kids under one roof which measures about 1000sq.ft. It was fun, and it wasn't too loud.  I was thankful for that, our downstairs neighbors just moved in, and I would hate to give them a bad first impression. 
Monday begins the new week. The calendars here start the week on Monday, not Sunday. I look forward to the start of every week. What does God have for us this week? Will I meet someone new? What will I learn this week? Will it feel more like home? So, every week is started with some anticipation, even more so this week because my parents are coming! I normally start my week with a list of things I have to do and this week is going to be busy.
There is much to be done. Cleaning, going to the market, sitting down to translate papers that have to be signed and returned. What would I do without Google Translate?! 
Finally, working on Dutch. This is the time consuming one. I will be trying to set up and schedule our formal classes this week. I absolutely can't wait to speak this language. I hate not being able to have a complete conversation. Oh, I can talk to people, but so much is lost in translation. They don't understand every word and certainly don't get our slang, cliches, or sayings. I don't understand theirs either. I learn more every week why it is so important for us to know their language. It has become an earnest prayer of mine.
Although, during this time of not being able to speak someone's native language I am learning to listen more and prefer them above myself. Which, surprise surprise, is hard to do. I have to put someone's needs above my own. Philippians 2 says to "...count others more significant than yourself..." It seems, I am faced with situations where I hear this whisper, "prefer them above yourself." Whether I am faced with 2 women in the grocery store who seem to be oblivious that anyone else is shopping or giving up my seat in the tram for the older gentleman who is having trouble walking. I wish I could say I prefer the other person every time I am faced with that choice, but sadly, I do not. I long for the day that I default to looking out for the interests of others above my own, although, I'm not sure that I'll see that day this side of heaven. 
It all seems to be wrapped up in humility. Do I ever get away from this one? 
Practicing the language is hard, and because I want to say the words as close as possible to the way they say them, I am asking questions, a lot of them, but my insecurities come screaming to the surface. I'm afraid of sounding like an idiot. I'm afraid of saying that one word that sounds like the other word and saying something really rude or profane, I've heard too many horror stories. I find myself asking strangers, "How do you say that?" or "Sorry, I don't speak Dutch, could you help me?" I have to push myself to say "Goedemorgen" and "Dank u wel." I know it's important that I keep trying even though I don't feel like it.
But, in the middle of all these new lessons of dying to self is this gift that this new experience of learning a language brings: that communicating is much more than words. It's about smiling when no one around me is smiling, and allowing the joy that is in my heart to show on my face.  Paying attention to the little details of someone's life so I can serve them and let them know I heard them and what they say matters to me.
I am excited for the day when I can converse with someone in Dutch. I know that before that day comes, I am going to have to go through some humbling experiences of speaking and, at times, being laughed at. The way I always laughed at the Mongolian restaurant in Springfield that wrote "We will rebuilt!" on their sign. I wonder if they were using Google Translate?

2 comments:

  1. Be encouraged Brittany! Dutch will come in time and before you know it your friends and family visiting will be so amazed. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, but instead just like you said, make it a matter of constant prayer.

    The things that helped me the most were flash cards and going out into the public and using something new that I had just learned. Putting yourself out there opens the door for flub ups, but the your friends and neighbors will love you more for trying. They'll just think it's endearing. Isn't it funny how the Lord uses language learning as an exercise for us to look even more like His Son? :)

    I will be praying that He will give your family a SUPERNATURAL ability to speak Dutch....an ability that could only come from Him. Love you guys and praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you as you learn the language! Love you!

    ReplyDelete